I feel like everyone is on the same page as me right now… 2016 was an incredibly challenging year. Horrible events were reported in the news almost every day and I feel scared and sad for our future.
In the spring…
- John and I got a cold then flu that stuck around for three straight months.
- When we took a weekend trip to Portland, we were threatened by a couple of homeless men.
- My annual trip to the dermatologist found more mutated cells and more testing for skin cancer. (I’m fine, but it’s pretty likely those cells will come back cancerous one day)
- After years on debilitating back pain, I was officially diagnosed with scolosis. Trying physical therapy and acupuncture therapy didn’t help and there’s really nothing I can do except manage the pain.
In the summer…
- Several experiences within my family have really disappointed me the year, causing me to put distance in several relationships.
- We had a flea infestation in our new apartment that lasted two months. It took four different treatments for something to finally work.
In the fall…
- John quit his job and he was out of work for two months.
- John’s youngest started to experience intense psychological episodes and doctors have recommended everything from medication to a hospital stay.
- My mom was diagnosed with stage 4 oral cancer and was rushed into major surgery with a several month recovery process.
- Donald Trump, an ignorant, idiotic reality TV star, is the president of the United States.
In all fairness, good things happened too…
- I started a new job at a much improved company. I have more responsibility, but I’m learning a lot and am basically kicking ass.
- I had the opportunity through work to volunteer more than I ever have before, helping the homeless through organizations like Urban Rest Stop and YouthCare.
- I met John’s family! We took the kids with us to Virginia where we rode roller coasters, fished in a saltwater river and ate at the Waffle House.
- I dressed as Hillary Clinton for Halloween and everyone knew who I was!
- John and I have made our apartment even more beautiful than ever before and we finally bought a new couch!
- When things got too hard, I took a long weekend to do a beautiful solo hiking trip to Whidbey Island.
In the end, I learned to love and respect more about myself than ever before. I am a really loving daughter. I am really good at my job. I love my boyfriend and I’ve found that it’s true, it does get better every year. I care about my community. I care about our political climate. I care about our environment. I’m a good cat mom. I’m a tough woman and if 2016 didn’t defeat me, nothing will! I welcome 2017 with open arms and can’t wait for this “fresh start” to wipe this slate clean.